Weaving workshop in Wadi Rum, Jordan
The powerful Bedouin women used to weave their entire house! The traditional bait shaar, the brown with white stripes decorated Bedouin tents that you encounter in remote places in the landscape where some Bedouins still live to roam the deserts with their flock of sheep, goats and camels. First, spin, wash, and sometimes dye the wool of the goats and sheep to apply natural color for decoration. Then with a simple loom on the ground, weaving one lane after another for days into a tent, a carpet, a pillow, rugs, a partition curtain or a camel saddle bag. Decorated with the motifs of the tribe and the region. In this workshop you will learn traditional weaving from these often more mature Bedouin women.
7 Reasons to book a traditional weaving workshop in Wadi Rum:
- Learn to weave traditionally in the ancient Bedouin way
- Working with your hands to create something special
- Learning the art of Bedouin women
- Take home the beautiful homemade souvenir
- Working together with women from the desert
- Working with a natural product
- Be part of the Bedouin community
See also our other creative workshops!
Price for 1-6 days weaving workshop:The weaving workshop is a morning program together with local women at home in Diseh, a desert village next to Wadi Rum. You will have lunch in the desert camp. The afternoon is at your own discretion, but you can also be inspired by the variety of special excursions in and around the Wadi Rum desert. To fully immerse yourself in the desert life, take a look at "Excursions". This way you can also design a tailor-made trip that fully meets your wishes and budget. We are happy to assist you with our expertise.
Price: 75 Jod per day per person
- 1-6 Days of spinning and weaving at home with a family in Diseh. Including material.
- 1-6 Days overnight in a desert camp with breakfast, dinner and private sanitary facilities.
- Transportation to and from the workshop from the desert camp.
- Travel insurance with worldwide coverage.
- Cancellation insurance.
- Order online: https://www.jordanpass.jo/ for your visa. (If you are not going to Petra, you better buy your visa at the airport (40 Jod) and your entrance ticket Wadi Rum at the visitor center (5 Jod).
- Transport to and from Wadi Rum.
- Additional excursions.
- Personal expenses.